E3 Thread!

Moderator: X-3

Apollo the Just

E3 Thread!

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:21 pm

Apparently this is a big deal or something. idk.

all I know is that Tales of Arise looks literally exactly like every single other generic bland ass big-budget JRPG and all that trailer managed to do was make me actually excited for the Crestoria mobile game, which actually looks stylistically interesting.

WHAT ARE Y'ALL'S GAMER TAKES???? POST 'EM HERE.

DarkZero

Re: E3 Thread!

Post by DarkZero » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:24 pm

fallout battle royale

fallout battle royale
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:26 pm

^ .......i still cannot believe that that wasn't a joke and is actually real

Sonic 5

Post by Sonic 5 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:53 pm

One of my friends lost her mind over the Tales trailer. I thought it looked kinda neat.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:15 pm

Like usual, Microsoft's press conference was fine. I'm usually only drawn into the smaller, more artsy games they show and this was no exception. Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Way to the Woods and 12 Minutes looked intriguing from the trailers.

Keanu in Cyberpunk was a really cool thing. That was probably the highlight of the show and Cyberpunk's probably the biggest "marquee" game I'm interested in. I love Star Wars but something about that game feels... off. The entire Gears segment was weird. Halo is Halo. I think The Outer Worlds could be cool. I'm interested to see what becomes of the FromSoftware/George R.R. Martin collab, but I'm not really into FromSoftware's games in general so I'll be watching it from a distance. I wanna see more of the KAKAROT game.

Battletoads looks iffy to me. It could maybe be fun but I don't really like the style and I'm not sure what it does yet aside from "hey remember Battletoads?"

Clearly Microsoft is willing to share their vision of the next generation sooner than Sony does, but what they shared so far didn't do a whole lot for me. For their first "official look" or whatever, I was expecting a bit more.

As for Bethesda, what a weird, up and down conference. There's a lot to like. Doom looks RAD. The concept trailers for Deathloop and Arcane: Tokyo were awesome. Wolfenstein Youngblood looks fun too.

But the rest of the conference was... weird. Lots of free to play and mobile stuff that I don't care about. Orion could be great if it really does help gamers dealing with stuff like data caps in the streaming future, but it felt really out of place in the conference. Rage 2 is getting support, but nothing that seems to fix the core problem people had with it of "it's really damn repetitive."

And then there's Fallout 76. I appreciate them at least acknowledging the disastrous start to the game. It's also f***ing SAD that they had to make videos saying "our employees are real people who work hard and are passionate" because asshats decided to take being disappointed by a bad video game too far and get personal about it. But my goodness, I don't think it's very exciting that a FALLOUT GAME has decided to add DIALOGUE AND NPCS a full year after launch. These are things they should've had last fall. Fallout Battle Royale is so damn laughable as a concept. Plus the continued "look at these fun times with the nukes you can have! we like blowing each other up with nukes!" messaging is so antithetical to the Fallout franchise.

And you can't convince me a good portion of that audience weren't plants. Not even the people who have played Fallout 76 consistently since day 1 are that excited about Fallout 76. No actual people are out here hooting and hollering over The Elder Scrolls: Blades. I'm sorry.

Deepfake
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by Deepfake » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:18 am

F76 getting NPCs is enough to make me play it, I was literally just saying I'd have done so in spite of its bugginess as a Bethesda game if it had a proper storyline and characters to interact with. I don't expect it'll be like a full game, but I guess we'll see how far it goes.

Doom Eternal had a rad trailer.

Cyberpunk is all story trailer but that was nice.

Disappointed to see Commander Keen being turned into a crap mobile game instead of getting a decent platformer sequel, but surprised they're even mining out that bit of the id library. What's next, a Catacomb tower defense? Please no.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:11 am

MS was by far the best so far for the number of indies they showed off and their continued practice of shutting up and showing trailers the whole time. It also seems like they're somehow an exception to Epic's exclusivity deals given Metro: Exodus and The Outer Worlds, which is great.

Bethesda spent an incredible amount of time talking about games no one cares about. Deathloop and especially Arcane: Tokyo sound interesting, but we didn't really find out anything about them.

Now all I really care about is whether Square shows off a NieR: Automata follow up. Most of what Nintendo has this year is already at the point where I know I'm buying it and don't want anything else spoiled, so I'll probably be tuning out for most of their direct.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:35 am

I'm only interested in weeb games tbh so Microsoft's conference didn't really do it for me. Anyway, looking (mildly) forward to the (possible) conclusion of Smash's Steve Games arc even though I don't really buy DLC, it's been a long time coming.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:27 am

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:54 am

Might there be a schedule for me to look at? I probably won't be getting work until later in the day as most of my clients are three hours earlier than me, so may as well lounge around and watch E3.
we built our house of cards
but it feels like it's still ours...

Sonic 5

Post by Sonic 5 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:09 pm

smol Kat wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:54 am
Might there be a schedule for me to look at? I probably won't be getting work until later in the day as most of my clients are three hours earlier than me, so may as well lounge around and watch E3.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:14 pm

Ubi was pretty unimpressive. It'll be fascinating to see them deny that setting Watch Dogs in post-Brexit London is a political statement, but it's hard to see how "recruit everyone!" isn't just going to mean a game full of bland randomly generated player characters. Almost everything else was Tom Clancy stuff. The most interesting thing about it was that Beyond Good and Evil 2 did not feature in any way.

Sonic 5

Post by Sonic 5 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:22 pm

I forgot that BG&E2 was even in development.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:09 pm

Watch Dogs 3 seems like it could be interesting but I'm not sure how they pull off the concepts without it ending up like Ian says. Everything else was a snooze outside of the classic stupid Just Dance segment happening yet again (OUT FOR WII!)

I'd like to see what Gods & Monsters actually is.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:57 pm

FINALLY tuning in and realizing I'm really just behind on all the things I'd be interested in.

Also, I'd like to know who is working on the Outriders soundtrack.
we built our house of cards
but it feels like it's still ours...

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:14 pm

Gotta say, the FF7 remake is looking pretty good. Outriders could also be cool, but it could also be Evolve again. Nothing else Square showed did much for me. Really heavy on ports and remasters.

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:20 pm

god i was unimpressed by the avengers thing

X-3

Post by X-3 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:52 pm

I'm going to be that guy and say that I don't like the small story changes in FF7R. Seems a lot more heavy-handed than the buildup in the original, but I guess they needed to have Sephiroth show up for the fans. Other than that the game looks good for what they're aiming for: big, dynamic action set pieces while still trying to stay true to the turnbased roots.

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:17 pm

Square conference as a whole was very meh. Like there's a few games I'm interested in but they're basically ALL remakes/remasters (FF7, FF8, Crystal Chronicles, DQ11 for Switch). Like I said, Avengers left me cold. Would've liked to see even SOME gameplay especially since there's apparently a demo on the floor.

Ranking the conferences as this point:
1. Microsoft (mostly solid stuff and nothing too embarrassing even if underwhelming)
2. Bethesda (some of the absolute most embarrassing stuff of the weekend but Doom and Wolfenstein stuff looks cool and two really cool concept trailers)
3. Square (some cool stuff but most of the interesting stuff was remakes/remasters)
4. Ubisoft (who f***in cares about tom clancy, Watch Dogs 3 is interesting at least)

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:20 am

I like that not 1 but 2 games appears to feature Grandma With Gun so far. Here’s to more. Also here’s to Master Chief getting announced for smash tomorrow

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”